|Title of event||Design Theory and its Impact in Several Disciplines|
|Organising (SIGs)||Design Theory SIG|
|Workshop chairs||Akin Kazakçi, Pascal Le Masson, Eswaran Subrahmanian|
In 2017, the Design Theory SIG had its 10th workshop – the symposium at ICED 2017 will present an overview and history of design theory.
In the last 10 years, a large variety of models and formalisms have led to significant advances on the deep logic of generativity and unknownness that is central to design.
Design theory deepens the scientific foundations of design and engineering; it bridges the gap with other design professions (such as industrial design) and helps in addressing critical, contemporary innovation issues.
These advancements provide the opportunity to explore new fruitful relations between design research and design theory. Design theory paves the way to extend decision science and supports new perspectives in its growth and organization.
This symposium will be conducted two parts:
Part 1 : Overview and history of design theory
- Design theory, decision making and problem solving
- Historical roots of systematic design
- Formal models (GDT, AD, CDP, ID, CK,…)
- Future efforts in design theory
Part 2 :Researchers will share their experience on the use of Design Theory to contribute to innovative results in different fields including
- Design Theory and cognition
- Design Theory and data science
- Design Theory and project Management
- Design Theory and creativity
- Design Theory and conceptual design methods
- Design Theory and engineering science
- Design Theory and the design of scientific instruments